Background of the Futures Forum on Learning: The Futures Forum on Learning seeks to convene a global conversation on how to help K-12 students around the world effectively recover from the learning loss caused by the pandemic. Our hope is that all children, families and adults thrive in online and blended learning settings through advancements in—and the wider adoption—of learning engineering approaches, which focus on greater utilization of the science of learning, powered by use of data and rapid experimentation, to build learning technologies that improve and continue to become more effective over time.
Background of Panel: The purpose of this panel is to engage with experts across sectors on how platforms and organizations in the region have been expanding their reach, supporting students who face the most obstacles, and improving their effectiveness via the learning engineering thesis.
Description: While COVID-19 has driven record numbers of students to sign up for online education in the region, there is uncertainty about its rigor, availability, and impact. How can platforms reach more students? How can learning engineering and experimentation improve outcomes? What can be done to reach the students who need the most help? Learn how these leaders are answering these questions, and the biggest areas for additional work.
Professor Dajani shared the experience of We Love Reading as a Programm that addresses many of the issues raised about education that existed in the past but were escalated during Covid19.
The points that Dr Dajani raised were:
- The need to motivate the students to want to learn to seek opportunites for education in an unpredictable world in the future.
- We must emphasize the importance of the human human interaction and not overlook it since as humans we evolved to be stimulated through social interaction
- To harness technology in a way that serves our goals and not as a substitute.
- The masses do not have access to technology and internet connectivity. The question then becomes how do we design for the masses?
- Encouraging local actors to develop their own solutions for their local problems to ensure sustainability and impact.